Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorYemon Choi
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2011

The same mildly interesting question, or minor variants thereof, has been asked several times, often by accounts with different or changing usernames. Each time someone asks for clarification, or points out that the question is similar to or identical to one before, the question gets deleted. This means that even if I were to later spend some spare time trying to answer the question, I have no incentive to, because the user(s) keep employing these monumentally irritating hit-and-run tactics.

Since I can't see deleted questions, I can't give links; but I assume I'm not the only one who's recognized the pattern.

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy

Hi, Yemon. Same guy, surely.

Could someone who can see deleted posts, and know what's being referred to, post a link or two here? On a cursory glance I couldn't work out what this was referring to.

The questions are always tagged with functional-analysis and operator-norms; they are always about having a 2-dim subspace of R^3 and asking about the relation between l^p to l^p norms of some operator. I would love to give more detail, but the questions keep getting deleted and then reposted without links back to the original, so I can't refresh my memory. Recent variants mentioned Kolmogorov numbers...

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy

• CommentAuthortheo_b

I'm just posting a few links to threads on MO and math.SE: For lack of reputation here I can't check whether the links to two of the three MO-threads work, but I'm pretty certain they do.

math.SE threads:

(the last one is a bit exceptional, but I'm sure it was also posted on MO in various versions).

Will, I don't think users q.g. nor ksj03 is relevant to the present discussion. The people/person I'm thinking of only ever seems to ask the same question.

MO: 50600 is the ur-example, I have a vague recollection of other variants where 3 gets replaced by some other exponent.

The annoying thing is: I think it could be a mildly interesting question (although norm-preserving extensions usually don't exist unless the range is at least a curly-L-infinity space). But the manner in which these questions are asked, by someone changing their name all the effing time, who not once has attempted to show what he or she has already done towards solving the question, ca me fache.

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2011

Yemon, I emailed you two jpegs.
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2011

Will: got it.

So what can we do about this? I'm stumped, but appreciate that it's tedious.

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011 edited

Posted at http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/77903/a-question-on-linear-transformation some three hours ago, correction edited in an hour later, and an answer supplied! A miracle! Sacre Bleu! Ave Maria! Oy Vey! Praise Allah! For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth, Hallelujah!

Actually, this idiot has gotten pretty good answers on MSE for other questions, late undergraduate homework, under other ID's. So this will likely not end the matter. I got carried away.

Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

"He'll pester once again", you say;

I guess you're right, but let dismay

Be put aside.

Perhaps this eejit's urge is sated?

We may not have communicated

Why hit-and-run is rude, and grated;

At least we tried.

@Yemon: :)

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011

We bow to your enthusiasm,

Retreat from bound'ry of the chasm

Of despair. Forth to orgasm.

EEjitocide.
    • CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011

Once I settled on enthusiasm, I ran low on options. Yemon's is better. I like the 8884/9994 syllable scheme. An initial exclamation, then a more thoughtful comment.
    • CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011

• CommentAuthorMariano
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011

How extraordinarily annoying :/

It's possible that the questions are homework questions of a certain class, the different identities correspond to different students of that class, and they delete the questions after they get the answers so that their classmates or their instructor won't see the questions or the answers.
    • CommentAuthorMariano
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011 edited

That's even worse... it implies there are many people who think this is a sensible behaviour!

Digging through the logs, I have a not-very-well-supported guess as to which university this might be coming from, but still can't think of anything useful to do.

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011

Well, I contacted the university in question when a student tried to get me to help cheat. They were definitely interested, and the head of IT there is the one who identified the miscreant. As far as I can tell there was just a slap on the wrist, as the same things happened a year later. So that is one thing to keep in mind, mathematics departments do not go nuclear over this. If you want the story let me know...
    • CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011

There is a follow-up over on MSE which is what we want to happen, http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/79076/a-question-on-linear-transformation-ii

although still just the shrill claims that it is not homework and the OP has checked many cases, dubious...
    • CommentAuthorWill Jagy

Of course, the identical crap was posted for a few seconds as question 80108.
    • CommentAuthorWill Jagy

Scott, I forwarded you two emails from March 2009. What I would do (have done) is identify, as well as possible, the department, any relevant faculty, and relevant IT people, and ask who might be trying to get an answer for over a year to this question. If this activity is of no concern to anyone there, that's life. I know that Anton has stated that it is not our responsibility to weed out cheaters, but this particular one is really annoying.

I admit it was the IT guy who answered me, possibly through hurt pride over his computers being misused.
    • CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011 edited

It's back, with the item I call question 2, http://mathoverflow.net/questions/84425/on-an-eigenvalue-inequality and http://mathoverflow.net/questions/84473/on-an-eigenvalue-inequality I emailed Suvrit to suggest he not waste any more time on this. Also Igor.
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012 edited

Looks like it has returned or at least spawned an imitator. If it's not the same person (can anyone run an IP check?) then it's the same bad manners.

Also cross-posted verbatim to MSE without acknowledgment.

• CommentTimeJan 31st 2012

This does not seem like the same person (the writing style is somewhat different, as is the willingness to engage in comments) but it does seem strange that this vice of unmotivated matrix questions by anonymous users only ever happens in real 3-dimensional space. Is there some optimization problem, perhaps with a geometric or mechanical interpretation, that I am missing?

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012

Suvrit noticed this one and gave an answer with some background, http://mathoverflow.net/questions/87872/ratio-sum-comparison-on-operators and Yemon left some comments.
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012

As this seems to have become the thread for Will and me to note occurrences of unmotivated matrix analysis, even ones that aren't from the original miscreant(s), here's one which seems reluctant to either state motivation or demonstrate previous work. Noted here in case it gets deleted.

In all seriousness, do these people think that fuller questions will allow unscrupulous MO-frequenting birds of prey to swoop down and steal the prize? Do they fear that admitting this is something they have been asked to do and can't do will invite a hail of snobbish ridicule? Or have they just never been encouraged to ask questions in a helpful way?

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012

Delightful as always, edit to http://mathoverflow.net/questions/84425/on-an-eigenvalue-inequality half an hour ago. This is the one where Suvrit gave a counterexample on December 28.
    • CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2012 edited

I finally made it into the MOfia. I went through the jpegs I had, it seems to me that these questions are the same idiot, some are not deleted yet. The common themes are matrices and inequalities. 50600, 76394, 76593, 77058, 79739, 79804, 80108, 81688, 84425, 84473, 87189, 87872,
    88495. The one with Suvrit's mention of the Audenaert and Kittaneh paper with matrix conjectures is 87872. I am a little disappointed, knowing the id number for a sock puppet is not that helpful. As a result, I can say I am missing many between 50600 and 76394, unless the idiot was in jail. Without internet access.

Well, the non-deleted ones have substantial stuff in their answers, so they should stay so.

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012 edited

darij, they might, the guy sometimes waits for a while before self-deleting his questions. Not always. I am especially proud of question 80108. Posted on November 3, 2011 at 3:33. At 3:35 I put a comment "You have got to be kidding." He deleted the question at 3:38.
    • CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012 edited

Somebody is trying to crowdsource solving an open problem?

Looks like a totally reasonable plan to me.

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012

darij, I don't know the word crowdsource but can guess. Note that MSE question 115903, identical, was also self-deleted after I put a link to here. Nothing much to be done but whack-a-mole. After some of Suvrit's recent answers it seems likely that this is one or more faculty members somewhere. I knew what to do when I thought it was student(s).

Darij, I thought crowdsourcing could be done transparently, without subterfuge? Or is this one of these "get off my lawn you varmints" moments that I seem to be having with increasing frequency?

I was just trying to be sarcastic.

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012 edited

Darij and Yemon, the idea I had was putting screen-capture jpegs of the dozen questions I have, or more if I find them, on a page on my website, readily available and searchable. Also put some keywords so it comes up when people search the topic. The trouble is that the power supply on the host computer ("zakuski") died, and the friend in charge of that computer has big problems and time commitment problems with his parents being ill. So there is a question about where to post anything. Anyway, this is the reason for the request in http://tea.mathoverflow.net/discussion/1318/i-cant-see-my-toes, with title being an homage to http://tea.mathoverflow.net/discussion/1317/i-cant-see-my-userpage. If I had a list of the last 500 self-deleted questions, by five-digit number, I could fill in some gaps in the timeline.

Actually, self-deleted posts probably far outnumber other deleted posts.

Alright, Anton has been posting lists at http://tea.mathoverflow.net/discussion/792/1/deleted-questions-with-possibly-substantive-answers/ with the additional condition that at least one answer was posted.

There is also a list of everything deleted, ordered by day/time of deletion rather than day of asking, under Tools//Links//Recently_Deleted_Posts with some 400 pages, but does include question title and other info, and each entry is a link to the deleted question. So I should be able to do this on my own, it will just take some weeks, which is fine.
    • CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012

Suvrit has pointed out a new arXiv item with an apparent resolution of the main conjecture at the heart of this.

http://mathoverflow.net/questions/87872/ratio-sum-comparison-on-operators/87961#87961
    • CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014 edited

October 2014. Suvrit says the main question has been settled by Audenaert, see http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.4941 and http://mathoverflow.net/questions/87872/ratio-sum-comparison-on-operators/87961#comment462204_87961

I see, later in his answer, Suvrit points out that an earlier arXiv preprint he had found turned out to be wrong, along with addressing only part of the problem. The reason for optimism this time is the stature of the person posting the preprint.