Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorArtie
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2013 edited

I wanted to ask for opinions about a certain pattern of behaviour I've observed. It may be that only I am bothered by it, in which case we can all forget about it. If not, I wonder what can be done to discourage it.

There are some users (I don't really want to single anyone out) who have been asking questions in a specific subject at a fairly steady pace for the last few months or so (edit: maybe longer). Many of these questions are pretty borderline in terms of acceptability, but in most cases, taking the question in isolation, it would probably be too harsh to close it. The problem, according to me, is that taken as a whole, this pattern of serial questioning has various negative effects:

--- It lowers the average quality of questions on MO, which (maybe) puts people off the site;

--- It leads to frustration among some experienced users, who maybe feel a little like they are being expected to do people's homework for them;

--- Most important, for me, is that this is probably bad for the questioners. It seems reasonable to assume that (at least in some cases) the people asking are graduate students; if so, it seems like very bad idea for them to turn to MO every time they have a question, rather than trying to figure these things out for themselves. The obvious response is that it isn't MO's job to worry about whether students are doing what they should be doing, which is true; still, I find it troubling, and it makes me wonder whether something cannot be done.

Firstly, I would like to know if other people have noticed the same behaviour and share my feelings. If it's just me, fine. If not, I wonder if there's a way to deal with this behaviour with being unduly discouraging to the people asking (who are probably doing so in perfectly good faith). One issue is that "How to ask" only contains question-wise guidelines on what is acceptable, but not more global guidelines on using MO (like, "At some point you need to stop asking questions and figure things out for yourself!") But maybe those things are just a subset of good sense.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas on what MO users could do about this kind of issue, or if the best approach is just to ignore it (edit: or rather, deal with it on a case-by-case basis).

I agree that there is a problem but do not know how to address it other than by telling the person asking the questions that this is inappropriate and not answering the questions.

Like Bill says, I also think this is something to handle on a case-by-case basis. This problem doesn't appear to be huge, and we don't really have any better ways of handling it.

• CommentAuthorquid
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2013

A main problem in my opinion is that "the community" sends very mixed signals, in general, regarding questions. I thought about sharing some of my favorite instances of this phenomenon, but then I do not want to derail the discussion.

• CommentAuthorArtie

quid: If I understand you correctly, I think you are right. Presumably if nobody answered these questions, they would stop appearing. (But I guess this is a conversation that has been had before.)

• CommentAuthorquid

Artie: It is not just the answering. In my opinion, already a lot could be gained if (also) those that think a question is still appropriate would nevertheless point out (or even just admit) that there would be quite a bit of room for improvement regarding how the question is presented. There are some (but quite few) that do this. The others might be too busy "shouting" at those that voted to close/down or really find so many questions good. I do not know.

Really, the worst of the worst questions can get an upvote. Also see http://tea.mathoverflow.net/discussion/1459/bumping-teh-n00bz-up-from-1 but it not even only from -1)

And this could be considered random noise. But I could name specific examples where quite prominent users 'fought' for things that were in my opinion completely unacceptable questions; and I do not mean things we discussed in the recent "too elementary" thread, but much much worse.

• CommentAuthorArtie

By the way, just to recap my original post, the point was not to start another discussion about how to deal with unacceptable questions, per se. Rather, the question was whether there is anything we can do to discourage certain posters from continually asking rather elementary and overspecific questions, instead of going away and figuring things for themselves.

• CommentAuthorquid

Yes, sorry, I realize this. My point is if these serial-posters would get on each or most of their questions some criticism how they actually should write their things (like explained in "how to ask") then perhaps they would eventually get the hint, perhaps (I would not know of examples of serial-questions most complying to "how to ask" but where I still see a problem). Yet, since not infrequently they get quite a bit of positive feedback, except perhaps from "the gang of crazy closers" [by the way these are not scare-quotes this is an actual (translated) quote from main, from a frequent user that I (in general) respect] that strikes fine questions for no apparent reason (or so one might think) then the situation is quite a bit different.