Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorWillieWong
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011 edited

We seemed to have both a [sequences-and-series] tag as well as a [sequence] tag:

http://mathoverflow.net/questions/tagged/sequences-and-series

http://mathoverflow.net/questions/tagged/sequences

the latter is perhaps redundant?

• CommentAuthorquid
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011

I just noticed that there is a (recent?) 'homework' tag and somebody (not OPs) tagging things with this. For several reasons I think having this tag is a bad idea. One is that it can suggest homework is on-topic.

• CommentAuthorjc
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011

There's a [numerical-methods] tag http://mathoverflow.net/questions/tagged/numerical-methods , which seems like it might be profitably merged into [na.numerical-analysis] http://mathoverflow.net/questions/tagged/na.numerical-analysis

To add to JC: there seems to also now be a [numerical-analysis] http://mathoverflow.net/questions/tagged/numerical-analysis which should definitely be merged into [na.numerical-analysis].

• CommentAuthortheojf
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012

There are many questions marked [operads] and precisely one marked [operad].

I noticed there are two tags: riemannian-geometry, and rg.riemannian-geometry.

• CommentAuthorjonas
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012

[combinatorics] to [co.combinatorics]. again.

• CommentAuthorjonas
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012

And again. [combinatorics] keeps popping up.

[representation-theory] to [rt.representation-theory] (16 questions!!!). [mathematical-physics] to [mp.mathematical-physics] (4 questions). [quantum-algebra] to [qa.quantum-algebra].

Done!

Any ideas about what we should do with the [function] tag? It appears to have no informational purpose.

[random] should probably be merged into [pr.probability].

Mark, done.

Scott, since it has no information content, we should merge it into [tag-removed] and let time sort things out...

François, done.

Some tags get created by accidentally splitting hyphenated tags (e.g. [algebraic] [topology] instead of [at.algebraic-topology]). These need to be sorted out periodically to avoid the proliferation of uninformative tags. Major problems regularly occur with the following:

It would be helpful if the community participated with these corrections. If you happen to notice one of these tags on the front page, please correct it immediately. If you happen to be in the mood to go through the lists and sort them out, please send a list of corrections to moderators@mathoverflow.net rather than bumping tens of oldies to the front page.

• CommentTimeMay 31st 2012

@François, looking at the recent bumps, I guess there's no good way for moderators either?

Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't. Of course, it's hard to see all the tags that were fixed without bumping. Unfortunately, some bumping is necessary to completely eliminate some tags so that novice users with less than 250 points can't use them.

[functional-analysis] should be merged into [fa.functional-analysis].

Thanks, Mark!

I am somewhat naive on the subject, could someone confirm that [operator-theory] and [operator-spaces] are more specific or otherwise different from [oa.operator-algebras].

I can confirm that. It is entirely reasonable for all three tags to coexist.

This may sound strange, but I have a tag unmerge request. The tag [presentation] is used for two completely different meanings (the one involving slides and the one involving groups). It would be good to sort them out.

1. Is there a smarter way than retagging them one by one?

2. how should we rename the two tags (or at least one of them)?

Perhaps we could change it to "exposition", then move the group-related questions to something like "presentations-of-groups". In situations like these, I think it would be better to eliminate the ambiguous tag altogether, since it would continue to used in multiple ways in the future. Any thoughts for or against?

@Scott Carnahan: I agree completely, renaming both is the way to go.

I realized that there's only 17 questions tagged [presentation], so probably the fastest solution is indeed retagging them one by one. They are so few, that I could even volunteer for the job. :)

Speed is not the point. You are welcome to sort tags, but only two or three per day since that will bump old questions to the front page.

I have a better idea: divide the list into two parts, those going for exposition and those going for presentations-of-groups (group-presentations?), which ever larger will inherit [presentation] by renaming it (Francois should be able to do that) and the others will be retagged.

If both have the same amount, just pick one and rename it.

Either way we are bound to cut the retag by at least a half.

By the way, why is this question tagged "matrices" twice?

@federico: I think, in response to your comment, or something to that effect, the tag [matrix] was renamed [matrices]. The SE1 software behind MO is evidently not smart enough to know that when [matrices] has already appeared on the list of tags, it should not be added again due to tag renames. Hence the original set of tags "[matrix] [matrices]" becomes the multiset "[matrices] [matrices]"... Fixing it is a simple retag. But whether bumping the question to the front page is worth this I am not sure.

I've merged [presentation] into presentations-of-groups by retagging a question. Those of you with retagging privileges are welcome to replace some of them with a tag like [exposition]. I don't think it is necessary to retag closed questions.

Thanks! I have found a total of three non-closed questions to retag, and I have edited them.

• CommentAuthorplhersh
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2012 edited

Right now there is an "rsk-correspondence" tag and a "robinson-schensted-corres" tag, both meaning exactly the same thing (or technically the former generalizes the latter). Presumably the tags should be merged.

Isn't RSK an extension of RS? Or is the distinction not important?

• CommentAuthorplhersh
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012

It just seemed like an extreme level of subdivision to me to separate these into distinct tags. The one-and-only post currently tagged rsk-correspondence actually asks about the extension from rs to rsk, so it actually deals with the topics of both tags. But I'm still relatively new here at MO, so you would know much better than I do how narrow a subdivision makes sense.
    I agree with Patricia. The distinction between RS and RSK is, in my opinion, rather like having Ramsey ultrafilters and P-points as two separate tags. One is indeed more general than the other, but the underlying ideas are so similar that it's hard to call them separate topics.

There is one random-walks that should be merged with random-walk (singular).

There are many questions tagged quantum-group and very few tagged quantum-groups. I'd prefer the former to be merged into the latter, the singular form sounds forced and ugly, while the plural comes naturally. (i think the plural is more common for other similar tag names, eg algebraic-groups)
    (Comment removed as no longer relevant)
    Could we remove the silly tag "functions"? There are currently only 3 questions with it, and 2 of them will disappear in a couple of days.

[rsk] no longer exists. [random-walks] no longer exists. [functions] no longer exists. I have merged [quantum-group] into [quantum-groups].

• CommentTimeSep 11th 2012

Can we merge [differential-geometry] to its arXiv counterpart [dg.differential-geometry]?

Done.

I noticed that someone recreated the tag [matrix] that was merged into [matrices] some months ago. Now there are around 500 questions tagged "matrices" and around 20 tagged "matrix". Is there a way to prevent re-creating a deleted or merged tag?

@federico poloni: I've merged the tags again.

I do not know of a way to prevent the creation of tags. As long as we are talking about things we'd like to see, perhaps there should be a system (outside our brains) that not only included tags, but encoded relationships between them together with more specific information concerning their pertinence to the questions.

• CommentAuthorEmil J
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012

[lie] should be removed or merged with [lie-groups]. (I’m slightly disappointed we have no [truth].)

Emil, we already have [set-theory] :-)

Periodic reminder to the community...

Some tags get created by accidentally splitting hyphenated tags (e.g. [algebraic] [topology] instead of [at.algebraic-topology]). These need to be sorted out periodically to avoid the proliferation of uninformative tags. Major problems regularly occur with the following:

It would be helpful if the community participated with these corrections. If you happen to notice one of these tags on the front page, please correct it immediately. If you happen to be in the mood to go through the lists and sort them out, please send a list of corrections to moderators@mathoverflow.net rather than bumping tens of oldies to the front page.

• CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012

Another tag to add to Francois' comment above is complex.

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I believe that la.linear-algebra should be merged with linear-algebra.

Tim, done. (It's a recurring problem.)

• CommentAuthorquid
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2012

I think [group] and [groups] with 2 and 5 questions, resp., should be merged into [gr.group-theory].