Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortheojf
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011

This thread is created in case there is a need for extended discussion about the acceptability of Means of Promoting Mathematics in Young Countries!. Maybe there won't be such a need.

My own two cents I left in a comment --- maybe I should have just included them here. They are:

With @Gerhard, I worry that this question is ill-suited for MO. That said, I hope it is not closed --- I think it raises important questions, and MO can accomodate the occasional ill-suited question. At worst, I worry simply that the community here won't have the expertise to suitably answer OP's questions (I hope I'm wrong!). If I made one suggestion for the question it would be to pare it down, because as written it is very broad. But I don't think it should be broken into a number of questions; rather, I hope answers stay focused here.

Since the question is Community Wiki, it is reasonable for community members to directly improve the question by editing it, if they so desire.

I agree that this question is quite broad and probably outside the expertise of most people here. Nevertheless, I do know mathematicians that have been involved in precisely these sorts of issues. So although it is not a typical Mathoverflow question, I think it does fit.

Also it is obviously an important question, and perhaps less obviously it is important to me personally (although I didn't grow up there, I was born in India back when it was referred to as third world...). So I strongly support the question staying open.
    • CommentAuthorgrp
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2011

Thank you for voicing your concerns. I imagine a future forum where questions like this are easily separated from the core research questions, along with easy default filters so that those who wish can blend these back in at their whim. That, or that this community reaches a consensus as to how suitable questions like these are. I think it is a good question for the future forum; I'm not sure it is a good question for the present forum.

Gerhard "Ask Me About System Design" Paseman, 2011.10.14