Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Well known is the (ab)use of speed by Erdos and Tarski. In the movie Pi we also saw protagonist's substance abuse. I wonder if professional mathematician uses recreational drugs in their work for muse.There are also many articles about use of psychedelics in computer science industry most notable example being Steve Jobs experimenting with it and the creator of mouse.

Thus my question:

Are their any reputable (more specifically contemporary) mathematicians with history of drug use/abuse?
    • CommentAuthorWill Jagy
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011

This is not an acceptable question.

+1 Will Jagy.

• CommentAuthorMariano
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011

+1 Will

Ditto. Definitely not acceptable (and libelous if it comes from anyone but the user).

Thank you all. I got the point.
    • CommentAuthorgeraldedgar
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011 edited

(Since it seems this will not become an actual question I put this here...) We can read in Littlewood's Miscellany the paragraph he wrote about how smoking is detrimental for doing mathematics.

• CommentAuthorquid
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011

@geraldedgar: Could you elaborate where exactly you read this in that book. I just searched for 'smoking' in it, and the only thing I found by doing so is in my opinion not really, to put it mildly, in line with what you claim Littlewood is saying. [He is describing a 'fatuous experiment' that included to give-up smoking, and it was quickly abandoned.] So, at least this paragraph to me rather suggest the opposite (for him, individually).

p.s. I do not wish to promote smoking. The sole goal is to have correct attributions of opinions.

p.p.s. I agree that this subject is unsuitable for MO.

In Pi there was no substance abuse. He suffered from migraines, while it is true he used copious amounts of medicine somewhats, it is not even closed to hinted that there was anything illegal about it.

@Asaf, "substance abuse" doesn't imply the substance is illegal. You can go overboard drinking coffee or taking aspirin -- the most likely result of the abuse would be a stomache ulcer.

IMO the question just isn't a good question for MO. All kinds of people abuse drugs, and mathematicians are not special in this regard. You could similarly ask which mathematicians have speeding tickets, or who've gone through multiple divorces, or which mathematicans suffered abnormally from acne as teenagers... These just aren't relevant questions.

@Ryan: Seeing how you put it, we all abuse oxygen... :-)

@Ryan, the difference is that there may be some subset of mathematicians who claim that drug use enhances their ability to do mathematics - I definitely have friends who claim this effect from caffeine, and as Asaf mentions, Erdos thought this about speed. I would be really interested to learn which mathematical theories started off as acid trips. I have not heard of any mathematicians claiming that their speeding tickets have inspired them to do great things in mathematics.

I am not sure about the validity of this question as a MO question mostly because I can see potential for people getting "in trouble" by voicing their true opinions on this matter. It seems a little too controversial for MO, but I think it would fit with the site in a more open society.
    @Steven It was chaos theory that got affected from acid trips if you consider Ralph Abraham's candid telling in the following link

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v18n1/v18n1-MAPS_8-10.pdf

Edit: As an aside, perhaps Prof. Abraham should be let known about the unintended innuendo of "Trip reports" in his webpage. :)

So, it seems you've answered your own question, Zeeshan. :-)

Although I still think it should not be an MO question, I actually find the question interesting. I have strong reason to believe that one of my undergraduate professors took cocaine specifically to enhance his mathematical thinking, although I would not dare name him. Numerous mathematicians have indulged in marijuana and LSD, but again, I wouldn't dare name anyone who had not gone public about that fact.

• CommentAuthorYemon Choi

I suspect the influence is far less than individual anecdotes might suggest. ("For want of a nail, the battle was lost" -- actually, to be fair, the Stanley brothers switching sides probably had a greater effect.) It may even be comparable to the effect of fruit on mathematics, i.e. limited to a few fun stories.

The problem here seems to be an absence of a "control" for this thought experiment...

@Steven: sure, but eating a balanced diet, being in good physical health, getting regular exercise, these are all far less controversial things that help one do mathematics. Killing other mathematicians and eating their brains might be another way to get mathematical inspiration. It's not clear that latter topic or the drugs topic really deserves an MO thread.

@Todd Yes, I was going to mention the link in my original post but I was too high (reading Zermelo's 1894 dissertation "Untersuchungen zur Variationsrechnung" of course) that I forgot to add it.

I am curious as to if there is such a social stigma for drugs in academia how could be Tarski and Erdos too be so open about it back in the days. And as a whimsical side note, anyone else got bummed seeing the trailer of the movie Limitless and lamenting why would the protagonist NOT solve P-NP after consuming the 'magic pill' but would rather be super-rich finding algorithm in stock market analysis?
    Finally I humbly leave you with Gregory Chaitin's comment @3:12 onwards

• CommentAuthorWill Jagy

• CommentAuthorRyan Budney
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011 edited

@Zeeshan: regarding the movie "Limitless," I suspect the reason they didn't investigate any interesting ideas is because that movie was marketed to 14-year-old moronic thugs. That was one of the worst movies I've ever seen -- and I've seen a lot of really bad movies!

Regarding openness, I think a lot of researchers are pretty open about these types of things. That does not mean this topic is appropriate for MO -- I think perhaps you have the wrong idea of what this forum is about. There's a big difference between relaying a personal anecdote to a friend (or having it in your personal biography) compared with putting it up on an internet forum which Google encourages everyone on the planet to read. Also, this topic strays way too far over the gossip vs. mathematics content line.

• CommentAuthorquid

In view of Ryan's response to Steven I just would like to mention that neither would I be in favor of having an MO question on mathematicians eating a balanced diet, mathematicians being in good physical health, mathematicians getting regular exercise.

And, somthing else: there are statements to the extent, I could not produce a reference but I am certain to have read or seen this, that Erdős was not so happy regarding the popularization of this matter, mainly on the grounds that he was worried to set a bad example.

• CommentAuthorgilkalai

I agree with everybody here that this question is not appropriate for MO. I dont understand why several people think that discussing the question itself, namely discussing on meta mathematicians(also specific mathematicians) and drugs is appropriate for meta (which is part of MO). I propose not to discuss mathematicians and drugs neither on MO nor here on meta.

+1 gilkalai. Vote to close this thread.

Due to the sheer negative reception of this thread, I have edited the Original Post as appropriate.
    • CommentAuthorYemon Choi

Still not appropriate - this is now just prurient. Why not start a blog and ask there, if the question holds that much interest for you?

I wonder if professional mathematician uses recreational drugs in their work for muse

Yes: in many cases, caffeine. Voting to close (+1 gilkalai and Noah Snyder)

Closing now.