Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Given a Pythagorean triplet a^2=b^2+c^2, if (c^2-1)/8=x, where x a non-zero natural number, what are the necessary numerical congruences for a=m^2+n^2 and c=m^2-n^2 so that c can be any prime number?
    • CommentAuthorgrp
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011

This question might be appropriate for math.stackexchange, except it seems clear that you have not thought it through, or at least worded it carefully. Here is a version you might try on stackexchange:

I am trying to find (not necessarily primitive) Pythagorean triples (a,b,c) such that a^2 = b^2 + c^2 and with c prime and odd. Using the parameterization where a=m^2 +n^2 and c =m^2 -n^2, are there necessary congruences needed for m and n?

If you try this, you will probably be reprimanded for not trying c=(m+n)(m-n) and deducing the obvious. Even without using the parameterization involving m and n, trying (a+b)(a-b)=p*p for some prime p is elementary number theory that is not quite in the scope of MathOverflow. I strongly recommend not making any more posts to MathOverflow or to meta.mathoverflow until you have made a number of successfully received posts on math.stackexchange.

Gerhard "Ask Me About System Design" Paseman, 2011.11.13

This question is not acceptable. Also, I am unable to understand why you said anything about x. Couldn't you demand that c be odd with absolute value greater than 1 without using an extra letter?

This simple equation, (c^2-1)/8=x, as far as I know, is the most effective in the whole of mathematics, for screening primes. From your responses it seems to me that you didn't put enough thought into it before criticizing. I would be delighted to see someone present the necessary congruences.
    • CommentAuthorquid
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011 edited

If a number is odd it is 1, 3, 5, or 7 modulo 8. So its square is 1, 9 , 25, or 49 modulo 8. Since all of 9 and 25 and 49 are congruent 1 modulo 8, the square is in fact always 1 modulo 8. By contrast, the square of an even number is never congruent 1 modulo 8. So all the condition that (c^2-1) / 8 is non-zero integer tells you is that c is odd and c^2 is not 1.

In other words: what Scott said.

The only reason I put the equation (c^2-1)/8 in my question was to formulate the sequence of all numbers with last digits 1,3,7,9 (the number 5 appears only once). This sequence contains primes and composite numbers. If we stop the sequence at 10^2 then all composite numbers up to that number are divisible by 3,7. If we stop the sequence at 10^3 then all composite numbers are divisible by 3,7 11,13,17,19,23,29,31 and for 10^6 we have 167 such divisors.The congruences I am looking for will reduce the divisions by two thirds. If we choose a number in the sequence up to 10^6, instead of doing 167 divisions we do only 56. The congruences you gave me are good only to formulate the sequence with numbers with last digits1,3,7,9, which is something I already knew.
    • CommentAuthorMariano
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011

This thread should probably be closed...

• CommentAuthorquid
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011

@V.P.: Either you wrote something different from what you mean, or I do not know. In any case, I agree that it will be best if you'd stop asking on MO on this subject.

I'm closing this thread, as we seem to have come to the conclusion that this in not an appropriate question for MathOverflow.