Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorfthorne
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011

Hello all --

I recently asked this question - http://mathoverflow.net/questions/82115/does-anyone-know-if-i-can-i-buy-backwards-15-puzzles-closed - which I judged to be marginally on topic but which was quickly closed. Indeed, one of the commenters was extremely negative about my posting.

I won't argue. Indeed, I went to delete it and I couldn't. I got some message, "Wait two days for votes to reopen." (Just now I flagged it for moderation and asked the moderators to delete it.) Is there some reason for this? If a question is considered unacceptable, then whether I agree or not, I would rather it not stay on the front page with my name on it.

Thank you very much.

Frank Thorne

Dear Frank,

Your question will fall off the front page quite soon. Off-topic questions are closed. Questions tend to be deleted only if they contain offensive material, or if their presence would create long-term problems for the forum.

• CommentAuthorquid

While I voted to close as off-topic, I have to repeat I am really impressed you make such an effort for your teaching. Why not preserve the (closed) question as a good example for this. And, if somebody comes along and should know something she or he might answer by a comment.

• CommentAuthorfthorne

quid -- thank you! Please note that it was a latter commenter, not you, that strongly objected to my question.

I confess I am still confused about the purpose of closing questions if I can't accede to criticism and remove my own post.

The reason why we have closed questions is to demonstrate a track record of previous community moderation. The whole point of this forum is that moderation is handled by the community, so everyone pitches-in. To do that you need examples -- you need people to be able to read the history of the forum rather than it being a black-box. Some closed questions still garner up-votes and comments. I have a closed question which is one of the most popular questions I've asked.

The person who gave you that negative comment may well have seized the "most abrasive MO participant" throne from some of our younger members.