Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

@Asaf Karagila, I suspected it was you, but how come this doesn't seem to be reflected in your profile page? (Unless it wasn't "you". :P)

Your reply about serial voting answers my question, thanks. (Although you might want to edit the sentence that starts "Serial voting is [...] a trade secret but" if it is a trade secret.)

Also, FYI, it's been almost 10 hours but it seems the serial voting mechanism hasn't kicked in yet. Maybe in a while...

With the sort of voting patterns we have on MO, the proposed front page sorting would promote the sort of questions that get locked on StackOverflow. These are not typical questions for SO, and certainly not for MO.

• CommentAuthorquid
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2013

@jtunnell: you explain us things we know. It makes little sense to just repeat this. Could you perhaps at least answer my question why this frontpage is not used for SO?

And by the way the old MO frontpage was not "newest" but "active" (and was this even different on SE2.0?)., in any case both would be better then this selection.

• CommentAuthorHJRW
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2013

+1 Yemon.

+1 Yemon.

@Joel: You can't see my reputation change from downvoting, the software hides it.

It seems that the serial voting script might not run, we'll have to wait for Geoff or someone else to confirm this, or point out that we didn't do enough to trigger it.
    @KConrad: Do you have a link where this horriple first-page-policy is described?
    • CommentAuthorquid
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013 edited

@Michael Greinecker: The link "(again)" in my first post in this thread leads to a thread containing various information. In the middle it was about something else, but scroll down to contributions by Willie Wong and me towards the end for several links. In particular, on meta.math.SE there is http://meta.math.stackexchange.com/questions/9820/what-is-on-front-page-for-new-unregistered-users and in a comment to the answer it contains a so far unanswered/unnoticed(?) question addressed at the math.SE moderators.

@quid Thank you very much! MSE users have no real influence on such issues. I am a MSE moderator and I think this is horrible.
    • CommentAuthorKConrad
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013

@Michael Greinecker: the MSE meta link in quid's reply just above is a question that I posted a couple of weeks ago, and it never seemed to get much traction. I wonder why a site can't have a vote (by users above a particular reputation, say) on what format of questions appears as its front page for unregistered users, e.g., active questions vs. newest question vs. some other tab option, esp. if moderators feel the default list shown to those users does not reflect well the types of questions that should be encouraged.
    • CommentAuthorPoppy
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013

Having looked up KConrad's reference to "son's sum of some" all I can say is: wow, I won't ever be looking at math.stackexchange.com again.
    • CommentAuthorquid
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013

@joro: I do not think your description that the number of upvotes for a tag badge is lower is quite to the point. Rather it seems that on 2.0 there are also bronze tag badges (in addition to silver and gold we have here). For the existing ones (silver and gold) they are actually somewhat harder to get as here it is 400 and 1000 votes, resp., while then it will be also 400 and 1000 but in addition one needs 80 and 200 answers, resp. For bronze it is 100 votes and 20 answers.

• CommentAuthorPoppy

Will the new site use the same cookies as the current site? That is, will unregistered users still be "logged in" when they return on Tuesday?

Earlier, jtunnell identified himself/herself as a mathstackexchange PM (not sure what this means; principal moderator?). Who will play the corresponding roles for MO 2.0? I'd sure like it if the current moderators will continue as such; they've been really great all this time -- consistently fair, firm, and at the same time sensitive and polite.

Whoever they are to be, I hope they are also mathematicians who are active on MO and who will continue to be sensitive to our concerns (the interchange with jt, or lack thereof, hasn't been exactly encouraging to me).

• CommentAuthorTobias

I am not sure what PM means, but note that he said SE rather than MSE (he is not an MSE moderator unless he uses a much different username here).
    • CommentAuthorquid

@Todd Trimble: PM is product manager see the page I assume to be jtunnell's userpage on meta.SO (but this was also the user answering a question on meta.SO on the frontpage so this seems like a very save assumption).

Who the moderators will be for MO is defined in an agreement Anton Geraschenko mentioned some time ago in the transition thread; in brief and from memory, we keep the current ones and if the need arises there will be elections of new ones in consultation with the current ones. (In general for the SE sites I think moderators are elected by the respective communities, too.) There are some general moderators (SE employees in part or all of them) around, but judging from math.SE (while I am not active there I passively follow their meta since some time in some detail) they rather limit themselves to technical matters (how does this work, why doesn't this work, things like this).

Todd,

Certainly PM didn't mean Prime Minister. I suspected it may have meant programmer, or polynomial mesosaur.

I can attest that on MSE the network-wide managers do very little moderation, if at all. I do my best to keep an eye out for these things, and I can't recall a single incident. I believe that the situation on MO would be the same.

Thanks for the reassurances, guys.

While SE is sorting out the new better front page behavior, what's the harm in MO having our old behavior instead of the other old behavior? The current SE2.0 default is bad in general and particularly bad for MO. I don't at all understand the claim that the front page that registered users use doesn't consist of typical questions.

Otherwise the new site looks great. Feels familiar but also looks better.

network-wide managers do very little moderation

I seem to recall one case on MSE where an account was closed, and after a question in Meta is was found that it had been closed at the user's request (all his accounts in the entire SE system) by a network-wide manager.

@Gerald: I don't see this as moderation. It was something initiated by the user, rather than something that someone saw and said to themselves "Well, that shouldn't be here..." and then acted on the issue.

In particular site moderators cannot delete accounts across the whole network, and it seems wasteful to ask each site to delete their own account. Moreover after the incident where a high reputation account were removed site moderators cannot delete accounts with "enough" reputation (I'm not sure how much is enough, though). So this sort of task might has to be carried out by a network moderator.