Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Ron L Winger has just asked a question about Position and momentum in quantum mechanics. There are some interesting mathematical issues here, but the question doesn't seem to go near them, and sounds dangerously close to a polemic.

Scott, wasn't this user discussed in this thread? I thought you merged the accounts?

• CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010 edited

I voted to close this question, but for some reason, my vote to close is not registering (although the server says that I have voted to close).

Edit: I just voted to close another question, and it worked fine, but my vote to close on this question is still not registering.

I can corroborate that there is some kind of technical problem with the closing votes on this question: when I look at the moderator tools menu, I see 3 votes to close, whereas when I look at the question itself I see only 1. Earlier today it was 2 and 0.

Well, luckily one moderator vote worked. Usually I'm loath to close a question with only one vote to close, but it seems that there should have been more.

Just for the record: I didn't vote to close this question. I know very (very!) little physics, so I would only vote to close a phsyics-related question if it were blatantly, wildly inappropriate. (Conversely, I have no complaints about the question being closed.)

• CommentAuthorajtolland
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010

It should be noted somewhere that the mathematical assertions in winger's question regarding rigged Hilbert spaces and the braket formalism are simply wrong.

For quantum mechanics of a particle in 1d, the set up goes as follows: One starts with the nuclear vector space V whose elements are Schwarz test functions, smooth and of rapid descent. Any polynomial in P & Q is well-defined on V and preserves its domain. S carries an inner product, and its completion in this inner product is the usual state space $L^2(R)$.
    Bras & kets are respectively, linear and antilinear functionals on S.
    • CommentAuthorajtolland

V = S, in the above. goddamnit.
    • CommentAuthorMariano

ajtolland, you could add that as a comment to the question, even if it is closed, so that posterity will not find the claims without the explanation...

Sorry about the apparent software problems with closing the question. I voted to close (after Harry has also done so), then thought better of it (admittedly in part because I was loath to have the pair of our names on the voted-to-close list! :-) and reopened the question. You can see this all in the edit history, if you like.

I'm happy that Ben then dealt with it, however.