Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This question was just closed: How many private research institutes are there ?. I think there could be an excellent question lurking in there, but I'm not quite sure how to ask it. At very least, I'm curious what the answer to the present question would have been anyway, and the question was receiving upvotes.

If someone can work out how to turn this into a good question, let's reopen!

• CommentAuthorChris Phan
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010

I'd like to say that when I made the comment asking

What do you mean by "independent"? If a private mathematics research institute receives funding from a government funding body (e.g. EPSRC or NSF), would you consider it independent?

I wasn't trying to disparage the question or argue for its closure, but rather I was trying to figure out what the questioner had in mind.

How about something like "what are some examples of modern mathematics research being conducted outside of academia or government"? This would have the interesting side effect of including industrial research.