Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthordjordan
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010

Hi,

I am trying to read some work of Ngo and while French is mostly easy to translate for me mathematically, every once in a while there is a word which sinks me. These are usually either grammatical constructions which don't occur in informal French to my knowledge and often don't admit straightforward translation or else are vocabulary words which can't really be looked up since they are context specific. Would a community wiki be appropriate wherein people just fill in definitions to the original post rather than give answers? I'm thinking word, example sentence definition. If it worked it could make a useful resource.

I worry it might be of limited use to people that aren't me, and that its propensity for frequent editing would keep it on the front page too often. Input?
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010 edited

It took me the longest time to find the definition of "conoyau", heh.

• CommentAuthorVP
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010

One trick is to look it up in Wikipedia. This works well in French and English, since both have very good mathematics coverage. "Conoyau d'une application linéaire" (in French wiki) turns out to be "Cokernel of a linear map", which is obvious even without interwiki.