Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevin Lin
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010

• CommentAuthorYemon Choi

I think I've gone "on record" as saying that I'm not keen on this kind of question, but that this is more of a personal preference than a wish to set any official policy.

The phrasing of the title doesn't help: it has an unfortunate ring of "Tell me stuff", or "Explain something cool and complicated to me", even if the actual question is a little more specific.

This question also fits into this discussion. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other, but I note that the probability question is more detailed, both about the math and the poster's motivation, than the geometry question.

• CommentAuthorCSiegel

A big part of my problem with this question is that it feels like a fishing expedition. There was no real indication that the questioner had even tried to find an answer of his/her own, especially considering the results of a quick google on "open problems in algebraic geometry" hit quite a lot of things. The question is VERY broad, doesn't give any context as to what the asker wants to know, really, or what background they have...

I have no objection to a question like this <i>in principal</i>, however, this particular question would need a complete rewrite so that it doesn't feel like "Write a wikipedia page on open problems in AG"

+1 to Charles. I was actually thinking of the probability question that Mark mentioned above, precisely because it did give more detail and motivation - which serves as a kind of certificate that the questioner has thought about the question themselves and will appreciate some of the answers. (I'm still not that keen on such questions, but the probability one seems a much more defensible and less annoying form of such than the question under discussion here.)

I've just realized one purely subjective reason why this question and its ilk rub me up the wrong way - I feel, on a not entirely rationalized basis, that students of mathematics would do better to learn what they are doing (in terms of reading the literature, playing with examples, and gathering a toolkit) rather than to ask about open problems beyond their ken. So I guess I am not keen on questions which give an impression of wanting to hear about Cool Problems Dammit without demonstrating interest or investment in the techniques of their area.

Of course, this might not apply to the present example, because the author might turn out to have a very good grounding in algebraic geometry and a good problem-solving record. But as it stands the question gives no way to discern if this is the case.

The question linked is really bad! Why in the world was it left up?

• CommentAuthoralex_o
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010 edited

I like the probability question quite a bit.

I'm not too familiar with the current frontiers of research in probability theory, but it really does feel (from the perspective of a student working in a loosely related field) that there are no "big" open questions. Rather, there are a large numbers of problems which can be very simply stated and which are not at all well-understood. Arguably, none these problems is terribly important by itself, but perhaps these problems are important in the sense that solving one of them may require the development of new techniques or insights which will be widely applicable.

I would be very interested in seeing if experts in the field agree or disagree with this, and I was very happy to see this question which gets at this. In any case, I agree that without any motivation, the generic "what are the good questions in X?" deserves to be closed.
    • CommentAuthortheojf

@Harry Gindi: I agree that the question as written is awful. My impression is that the reason it stayed open early on are that Richard Borcherds and Gil Kalai, who each have a lot of street cred (for example, I have a lot of respect for both of them) voiced support for the question. My opinions on questions like this seem to be close to Yemon's. In particular, I strongly hope that someone (won't be me, though) edits the question into something with content.

• CommentAuthorCam McLeman
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010 edited

I too agree that the question is very poor as stated. Further, I wanted to argue against the "A good answer implies a good question" point of view that was discussed in the comments. For example, I think there are very many well-written wikipedia articles on mathematics, but any question whose answer is answered by a wikipedia page is likely, in my opinion, unsuitable for MO. As to this one in particular, I could easily see there being a "Open problems in algebraic geometry" page, rending the question too broad for this site.

The probability question is leaps and bounds better, but still suffers from the "feels like you could've googled it a bit first" problem.
    I agree completely with Yemon Choi. As written the question is inappropriate for MO. If we don't move to re-close, it should be edited and turned into something reasonable, as well as being turned into a Community Wiki.
    • CommentAuthorgilkalai

In general when a question has decent academic nature good answers are indeed a good reason to keep the question open. I realize that this is an issue where we have disagreement, so I just expect also people who disagree not to close appropriate questions which already gained good answers and much interest.

Here the situation is even different. There are two general arguments that were raised in similar discussions which became irrelevant once Richard endorsed the question.

The first argument was that these type of question drive away "serious" research mathematicians; a variation of this argument was that these questions causes serious research mathematicians to waste their time. I never thought that this argument is too convincing, and I think it will be difficult empirically to support it.
    In this case, once Richard explicitely expressed interest to see answers to this particular question then this general argument becomes irrelevant.

The second argument was about the motives and qualification of the person who asked the question. Is this just a question asked off hand? a fishing expedition? how can we adjust the level of answers to the person who asked the question etc. This is a reasonable point of view. However, in this case, once Richard expressed interest in seeing answers to this question, we can aim the answers to Richard and forget about the qualification and motivation of the original person who asked the question. ("sun"?) We can olso assume that Richard is familiar with alternatives that Mathew raised (ICM and Bulletin papers).

It is an endearing aspect of MO that prominent mathematicians and first year students are participating as equals. But this feature can rapidly become much much less endearing if there will be a feeling that it is abused. So while I understand the few people who initially wanted to close the problem I fail to understand why people continued to vote for closing it after Richard supplied a nice answer and endorsed it.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010 edited

The second argument was about the motives and qualification of the person who asked the question. Is this just a question asked off hand? a fishing expedition? how can we adjust the level of answers to the person who asked the question etc. This is a reasonable point of view. However, in this case, once Richard expressed interest in seeing answers to this question, we can aim the answers to Richard and forget about the qualification and motivation of the original person who asked the question. ("sun"?) We can olso assume that Richard is familiar with alternatives that Mathew raised (ICM and Bulletin papers).

It is an endearing aspect of MO that prominent mathematicians and first year students are participating as equals. But this feature can rapidly become much much less endearing if there will be a feeling that it is abused. So while I understand the few people who initially wanted to close the problem I fail to understand why people continued to vote for closing it after Richard supplied a nice answer and endorsed it.

I say only then that if a "street-credible" mathematician decides to endorse the idea behind a poorly-written big-list or soft-question, he or she should be strongly encouraged to rewrite the question as well (and perhaps re-ask it). This is what Andy Putman did in a similar situation, and I thought that it was a terrific idea. If you don't remember this, I posted about it on meta and could post a link (although I'd prefer not to if it's unnecessary).

• CommentAuthorgilkalai
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010

Harry, In our particular case there is no need to rewrite the question. Endorsing the question and providing an initial answer is more than enough.
    I tend to agree with gilkalai on this. I was not a huge fan of the question, but if it is good enough for Richard then it is good enough for me. And the writing was clear enough and didn't contain any false statements, rants, etc., so I see no need to rewrite it.

I doubt it will surprise anyone to learn that I dislike both questions. I don't think that the extra information in the probability question is enough to "rescue" the question. Both are "fishing" and neither satisfies my criteria for a Good MO Question.

But what disturbs me a little more about this discussion is the idea that a question can be "endorsed"! It's all very well for someone to say, "I like this question". Fine, I can disagree and we can discuss it and - at the least - understand each other's points of view. But a system of endorsement makes a mockery of the idea that a questioner asks a question seeking an answer. Now, it's trying to ask a question that will attract the attention of a "high profile" user, but not to get an answer but to get endorsed! Next, there'll be a call to have questions pre-moderated and only posted if they can gain the attention of a supporter.

Maybe we should get the "afternoon tea" site off the ground so that questions like this can have a happy home there. But I want MathOverflow to be for researchers getting help with their research. I can't see how these questions do this. Are these people wanting to start working on one of these Big Questions? The closest I would accept for this type of question is: "I'm starting my work in area X and I find it useful to know about the Big Questions that people in that area work on to help me keep an eye on the goal. Where can I find out about it?"

To expand on Andrew's comments, if we are moving towards an "endorsement model" of assessing a questions relevance to MO, based on "credibility" of the endorser, we're walking down a rather nasty path whose extreme end is a type of top-down feudalism where fields medallists can get their way on anything, and grad students are completely subject to the whims of their superiors on a nebulous "credibility" scale. IMO this is a big mistake the MO community appears to be making.

A very long time ago, we discussed this on meta. Emerton wanted to post an answer to a question, even though it was poorly written and didn't make too much sense (the question, not the answer!). The decision we reached then was that it would be better for him to re-ask the question and answer it himself than reopen the question. This is fair and avoids the "endorsement model", while still allowing people to post answers they would like to post.

@Andy: I think that this is a good compromise. Why don't you think so?

It will probably surprise no one that my opinion is that this just isn't a big deal either way. One bad question now and then just isn't a big problem, and if it amuses Gil and Richard, then that's good enough for me. Any time spent arguing about this question would be better spent coming up with a totally different good question and asking that.
    • CommentAuthorRyan Budney
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010 edited

@Noah I think the issue people are raising is that bad questions appear to be permissable if and only if an undefined notion of credibility of an endorser is large enough. I think this kind of behavior should be avoided like the plague if MO hopes to maintain any long-term viability as a forum for mathematicians.
    +1 Noah.

I think people are making this out to be more dramatic than it is. It's not the fact that Richard has a Fields medal that is making me take his opinion this way. Personally, I don't have a dogmatic definition of what this site is and what questions are appropriate. If an active and high-ranking user of this site (famous or not) sticks their necks out and says that they think a question is good, then I take it as evidence that it is at least not so bad as to need to be closed.
    @Andy, one problem with that model is there's no way to resolve a conflict if two active and high-ranking users have arbitrary conflicting opinions. If I was to try to read a policy-statement out of your comment, it would appear as if you're suggesting that whenever we enter a gray area it should come down to the whims of high-ranking users. And if high-ranking users have differences of opinion, as in this thead, it should come down to the opinion of a fields medallist. If two fields medallists have a conflict of opinion it's not so clear what to do. This seems rather bizarre. Notice we are in a situation where high-ranking users have a difference of opinion -- this is why having a framework for how MO operates is a good thing. Because we don't have to settle for the opinion of the highest-ranking user.
    I would like to add to Ryan's POV by mentioning that one's rank, talent, and knowledge may vary differently with time. Only the latter two are of any fundamental importance.
    @Ryan : My POV is that if there is a disagreement, then we should err on the side of keeping things open.

Assume that person X wants question Q left open and person Y wants question Q closed. If question Q is closed, then person X is hurt a lot, while if question Q is left open then person Y is maybe hurt a little.

Highly contributing users are a valuable thing, and I see no reason to tell them that their contributions are not welcome.

I suppose that it's worth pointing out that no-one is defending hw questions or "best math jokes questions" or the like.
    • CommentAuthorgilkalai
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010 edited

Overall, question of the form "what are the big problems in area X" while quite problematic can be useful. Good answers for such a question can definitely be helpful for a researcher in his or her research. (I dont see why asking this question with a strong personal touch "I am starting..." as Andrew suggested makes any difference.) There is no principal reason to close such questions. (But I admit that I dont want to see too many such questions at any given time.) Of course, there is no guarantee that such a question will lead to good answers.

If people move to close a particular such question because the problem was not properly formulated, or because they suspect the motivations and background of the person who asked the question, then the fact that another familiar MO participant expressed his view that he likes the problem and wishes to see answers and even contributes an asnwer himself (this is all what I meant by "endorse") is a good enough reason to refrain from closing it. Of course, I do not suggest an endorsement system and the concerns of Andrew and Ryan are not justified (while quite funny, and perhaps characteristic to the way mathematicians argue sometimes).

I think by now, as Andrew mentioned, our positions are familiar and not surprising. There is certainly no "concensus", or even "decisions reached",although it is hard to compete with the volume and intensity of some of the participants. There is no symmetry between closing a question and leaving it open and when you see a question (that is not obviously inappropriate) that you do not like but have good reasons to believe other researchers on the site will like (especially when they say so), simply refrain from closing the question.

Gil, my initial impression, largely based on your first comment in the thread, was that the reason people wanted the question to remain open was because of Borcherds's interest in the question. This line of reasoning is repeated here, until Andy Putman's most recent post, above.

FYI, the MO FAQ specifically discourages these kinds questions:

The site works best for well-defined questions: math questions that actually have a specific answer. You'll notice that there is the occasional question making a list of something, asking about the workings of the mathematical community, or something else which isn't really a math question. Such questions can be helpful to the community, but it is extremely tricky to ask them in a way that produces a useful response. So if you're new to the site, we suggest you stick to asking precise math questions until you learn about the quirks of the community and the strengths of the medium. If you have a very broad question (like "Please explain topic X"), try searching Google, Wikipedia, nLab, or looking for survey articles on the arXiv.

So I don't think the people that voted to close were doing much other than trying to keep the site consistent with its mandate.

• CommentAuthorgilkalai
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010

Dear Ryan, certainly Borcherd's interest was the reason to keep this question open. If some new unfamiliar person had asked a question on "What are the big problems in knot theory" I could see why people whould like to close this question. But had you, Ryan, supplied a good answer and expressed interest to see more answers than this would have been good enough reason to keep it open.

I am not new to this site and the last three paragraphs in your comment reflect serious and deep disagreement which is oftened discussed here. The site works nicely for good well defined questions, and it also works nicely for good "big list" questions, and it also works nicely for good "please explain topic X" questions.

(BTW, I think it was a mistake to close your own question on knot, links and low dimension topology algorithms.)

(Off topic) Here is a nice introduction to a talk that I discovered while trying to answer a recent MO question: go to the video of I. G. Macdonald lecture here: http://www.mathunion.org/Videos/ICM98/ICMs/

The problem I have with the statement "The site works nicely for good well defined questions, and it also works nicely for good "big list" questions, and it also works nicely for good "please explain topic X" questions." is the underlying assumption that the site can do these three at the same time. My view is that the second two drive out the first, and that whilst the first is of direct use to me in my job, the other two are just "of casual interest", and can be found elsewhere. So to keep this site of active use to me in my job, I stomp on the other two types of question.

If Ryan asked a question on "big problems in knot theory", I would vote to close it really quickly:

1. He's been here long enough to know better.
    2. He's a knot theorist, so if he doesn't know then he's not doing his job properly. It's his job to know this sort of thing, (k)not my job to tell him.
    3. He's a knot theorist so knows who the other knot theorists are and so can just ask them directly.

Also, you missed the point of my reformulation of the question (and note that I still don't like this question). It wasn't the start of the reformulation that was important, but the end: "Where can I find out about it?". Namely, don't tell me vast swathes of information, but tell me where I can get hold of that information.

To grossly twist a popular saying: If someone comes here on a fishing expedition, the worst thing to do is give them a fish. The best thing to do is point them to a book in the library (or website or whatever) where they can read up about how to find the best rivers in which to fish.

• CommentAuthorgilkalai

Andrew, at present, and already for many months, the MO site works nicely with questions of the three types and I found all these types of direct use in my job. Participant's voting indicate very clearly that they find questions of all these types useful. I myself (like most frequent users) asked question of these three types and at the end the answers to the 2 questions I asked of type "please explian topic X" one about integrable systems ( http://mathoverflow.net/questions/6379/what-is-an-integrable-system ) and one about categorification ( http://mathoverflow.net/questions/4841/what-precisely-is-categorification ) were useful to me and to others.

"So to keep this site of active use to me in my job, I stomp on the other two types of question."

I do not know what you mean by stomp. If you simply filter out questions that are not useful to you in your job this is perfectly ok. But if you try aggresively to close questions that are not useful for you (however useful they are to others) then I think that this is damaging to other participants and to MO.

"Stomp" was perhaps not a great choice of word - it was meant slightly humorously. I do try to not be aggressive in my behaviour on MO and I hope I don't come across that way. I am more outspoken here precisely because it is a little out of sight and because here I'm trying to persuade and explain. In particular, when I vote to close I try to ensure that there's a comment explaining my action.

Your argument comes across as: "Here's an example of a big-list question that I've found useful so we should allow all big-list questions.". There've been big-list questions that I've found useful. The problem is, that there's no end to the ones that have just been sheer noise. I'm not too happy about the overwhelming number of algebraic geometry questions either, since I consider those to just get in the way and have no useful content whatsoever. The difference between big-list and algebraic-geometry is that it's really hard to ask a question about algebraic-geometry so there's a limit to the number of questions on that that MO will get. However, it's really easy to ask big-list questions so without some discouragement, the site will get swamped by them.

I can tolerate a few, but the ones that are easiest to tolerate are the ones where it's clear how the information is directly going to help the person asking. But that's a rule I apply to all questions: it should be clear how the information is going to help the person who asked.

• CommentAuthorgilkalai

The only little modification I propose to your rule is that when another participant who did not ask the question expresses active interest to see answers, then apply the rule to that other participant as well.
    (I did not understand the big-list algebraic geometry analogy; in any case, the question we discussed was not really a big-list question.)

Also, I realize that my knot example is perhaps not so good since Ryan is a knot theorist so let me modify it.

If some new unfamiliar person had asked a question on "What are the big mathematical problems in mirror symmetry" I could see why people whould like to close this question. But had Ryan supplied a good answer and expressed interest to see more answers than this would have been good enough reason for me to keep it open.

Dear Gil (and any anyone still reading),

My concern is that we're not being clear to people who use MO (or are considering using MO) what MO is. To be rather hyperbolic about this, the new byline for MO could be "MO - a place where you can go to talk about the things high-status mathematicians want you to be talking about".

I have not witnessed even-handedness when it comes to deciding which borderline (or policy-violating) MO questions remain open -- for example how many borderline MO threads have been kept open only for [insert name of active undergrad student on MO]'s interest?

By and large my opinion on rules is if they can't be enforced fairly, then the rule should be changed to something that can be enforced.

@Ryan : Can you give an example where a highly active undergrad (eg Qiaochu) wanted a question left open but it was closed? I guess there aren't that many high-rep undergrads (the only ones that come to mind are Qiaochu and Ilya [who doesn't seem to come around much anymore]).

And anyway, a mathematician who is sufficiently senior has earned the right to waste my time. By this, I don't just mean Fields' medalists -- I would place a substantial number of people on eg the first page of users of MO in this category.

Why should we pretend that people don't have outside reputations? This isn't wikipedia or the like...
    It's not so easy to find closed threads without resorting to the big dump, so examples aren't readily accessible. But here are two that apparently should not have been closed if we were to use the standards we're discussing at present:

http://mathoverflow.net/questions/15168/topologies-making-a-class-of-functions-continuous-closed

http://mathoverflow.net/questions/35946/how-expensive-is-knowledge-knots-links-3-and-4-manifold-algorithms-closed

I'm pretty certain there's much better examples available, these were the two that were the easiest for me to find.
    @Ryan : In both of the questions you linked to, the OP asked that the question be closed.

I personally thought they were both fine questions, but that seems like a rather special case...
    That the OP asked for the thread to be closed is something of a technicality. In Gindi's thread a high-rep user asked for the question to be re-opened, which as far as I understand (as we're discussing here) is sufficient grounds for a thread to be re-opened. In my case, I was unaware of this high-rep loophole to thread closure that we're discussing, moreover, nobody brought it up. This is getting to the point -- the loopholes in the rules aren't written down and they appear to be made available in a skewed way.

Is that what people want?
    • CommentAuthorEmerton

Dear Ryan,

First of all, note that Gil says that he believes it was a mistake to close your question, so his position is consistent.

As you know, I tend to side with Gil on these matters, in that I generally dislike seeing questions closed. If you had asked for your question to be reopened, I would have voted for this. Since you acquiesced in its closing, it's not been clear (until now) that this is what you wanted.

In general, I don't think that this is an issue of favouring high-status mathematicians; rather, if a member of the MO community (and reputations serves as a reasonable surrogate for measuring the extent to which a user is a true member of the community) says that they find a question interesting/valuable/worthwhile, I think it is a low-cost courtesy to not close the question. (I think that the math-at-dinner post, or whatever it was, gives an example of this.)

If you go all the way back to the meta thread on VA, you will see that I expressed a similar opinion there. You will also see, from my language there, that I don't think that this courtesy is completely divorced from a consideration of peoples non-MO reputations. However, I don't think (perhaps naively) that there is a serious danger of abuse. After all, we are only talking about courtesy and conventional behaviour here. Any abuse of this courtesy can easily be checked by using the tools available (e.g. withholding courtesy and exercising closing powers).

If you feel that you weren't extended this courtesy, and were (so to speak) coerced into closing your question, that is regrettable, and I think that the solution is to reopen your question.

Finally, I don't think that kind of courtesy that Gil and I are discussing is a loophole in the rules, or some secret knowledge that allows some to game the system. Rather, we are just suggesting that people here exercise the same courtesy they would exercise in any other aspect of their professional life (which is, I agree, probably much more courtesy than one typically sees exercised on an internate forum; thankfully, MO is not a typical such forum.)

Dear Matthew,

I'm somewhat ambivalent about whether or not my question should be re-opened. Bringing it into the conversation was more of a convienient point of rhetoric. I'm pretty sure there are many more neutral examples, but closed threads are not so easy to find on MO, and the fall semester begins in less than a week...

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "the meta thread on VA".

If MO was reasonably consistent in maintaining this courtesy-over-closings policy that you and Gil are mentioning, I suppose I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I don't think that can happen without it somehow entering into the FAQ, or perhaps in a sticky "policy thread" at the top of meta. People aren't aware of this. So we have various people pulling MO in different ways, and the perception of a double-standard -- in a sense because there is no standard.
    • CommentAuthorEmerton
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010 edited

Dear Ryan,

Sorry; the "VA thread" is here. In finding this thread I also saw some of the comments surrounding mine, including those of Noah Snyder, which reminded me that he made good arguments akin to yours that my suggestion of "courtesy" is a little naive, and that a policy solution is preferable.

I would certainly prefer it if we could resolve these issues simply through applications of professional courtesy, but I also appreciate your point of view that such issues should be handled by policy, rather than by some implicit assumptions on people's behaviour. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I have much more to say, since I always feel somewhat in the minority in these discussions in any case.