Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorWillieWong
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010

This question is about grading/curving systems for math classes.

On the one hand, this is certainly not a research level question.

On the other, many (most?) of us do teach, and this question can be thus interpreted to be relevant to the profession.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Off-topic I'd say. Moreover to some of us, even the
    terms "grading" and "curving" are unfamiliar.
    • CommentAuthorWillieWong
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010 edited

@Robin (or someone else): if you see this, can you add a link to this Meta discussion in the comments for that question? I am currently having some technical difficulties that prevents me from posting comments to MO proper (though I have no problem here at Meta). Thanks.

I don't like questions that ask for anecdotal answers. This belongs on a blog, and indeed I've added a link to the relevant sbseminar post. Consider me as "voting to close".

I think there's a nugget of a very interesting question in there (I'd remove curving, focus on grading, and ask for grading schemes that were most effective at getting students to learn the material or most effective at accurately reflecting the student's understanding). But even at it's best, I'm not sure it's appropriate for the site. (Despite the fact that I'd really like to hear about some creative alternatives!)

@Robin: would "marking" and "scaling" lead to more appropriate question? :) I certainly don't think the US-centric language is the problem here.

I'm all for closing this particular question, but if the problem is that some of the terms are unfamiliar to some of us, well, there goes 98% of MO.
    • CommentAuthordeane.yang
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010

Alas, this question doesn't meet even my extremely low standards for an acceptable MO question. I do think it's a very interesting question, but for somewhere else.